From:
Fred Schueler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2016 22:33:06 -0400
...don't neglect shells washed up along flooded rivers - both drifted
snails and washed up mussels -

"...patrolling the banks, finding tracks of Beaver, Deer, and Muskrat in
the clay among drifted Ash seeds, and deposits of land snail shells to
be sorted later. Everything here is coated 1-30 cm deep with clay from
the summer flooding, most impressive when it covers tilled fields, now
cracking into polygons, and with a sparse vegetation of what's
germinated on the top or pushed through. ...down onto a bar below the
bridge, which is coated with 3-40 cm of mud cracked into polygons.
...the flood – equal to, or greater than, a 2011 flood that had been
called a '300 year event' – has washed a generous sample of the Unionid
mussels of the river up onto the bar, 2.5-4m above the current water
level. ...Fred is led to the first cluster of surviving mussels by Otter
tracks and big opened pairs of valves, mostly from cracks in two low
places that must have held water until fairly recently. He dug up at
least 50 of these desperate clams from among the shells of their
neighbours, and tossed them to safety over the 2.5 m drop into the deep
water flowing past the bar."

...and there's a photo of me with a bag of giant Unionids -
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/2015/05/18-october-2014-me-painting-bend-in.html

fred.

On 10/11/2016 10:00 PM, Vicky Wall wrote:
> I remember Alta VanLandingham telling me how dangerous quicksand could
> be when she and Van lived on Ocracoke.
> Have you been out shelling John? I was wondering if it were any good or
> if the storm scoured the beaches clean. Vicky

           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
            Fragile Inheritance Natural History
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
4 St-Lawrence Street Bishops Mills, RR#2 Oxford Station, Ontario K0G 1T0