From:
Michael Small <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2017 08:28:20 -0700
South Africa is a rich environment for beach collecting, in part due the very rough seas much of the time. There is a spectacular fauna of large limpets which are easy to find on many beaches. Jeffrey's Bay is famous for its beach drift with a small local shell museum, but as already noted, it is a long way from Cape Town. I would start by looking at beaches on the rough, exposed Atlantic side, of the Cape Town area,  such as Hout Bay, or go south of False Bay and look around Hermanus, and if possible, head towards Cape Agulhas.

There was a good South African shell club magazine, the Strandloper. Not sure if it is still published but if you can find copies of it, it would be worth consulting. There are also a number of specialized books on South African molluscs aimed at the collector. Many focus on the rarer endemic shells that can only be dived or dredged - e.g. the cowries or volutes. Deirdre Richards little paperback "Shells of Southern Africa" from 1989 is a good guide to what you might find beach collecting.

As always, best advice is to find a local collector! Perhaps someone else can give you an introduction to a Capetown based sheller.

Good luck!

Michael Small in rainy Vancouver

Sent from my iPad