From:
Leslie Crnkovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2017 21:38:29 -0500
Hello Jack,

Personally I am a fan of digital calipers to measure shells (a micrometer is the wrong product to use).
However I would suggest buying it  made form a composite or other non-metal material, which will be lighter weight, easier to handle, and less chance of damaging the shell.
Depending on how picky you are in the level of accuracy, Harbor Freight sells one for about $10 bucks and 20% off coupons are easy to get.  Or you can go the other rout of high end and spend over $100 with products such as Mitutoyo Absolute Digimatic, or Starrett.
At the college we use a blend of both ends of the quality spectrum.

Leslie