Sender:
From:
Karen Lamberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:31:24 -0500
I realize that the name of Tucker Abbott evokes heavenly choirs of
accolades. And I'm not demeaning the effort it took to do his first edition.
Some of the errors in it could even be forgiven, if for nothing else than
the fact it was a first of its kind work AND most of those errors were
laughably obvious, like mislabeled plates. But by the time the second
edition was released, these things are neither laughable or excusable from
the world authority! I was at a friend's home when her copy  AND THE
VOLUMINOUS CORRECTIONS SECTION arrived. The corrections were the size of
many other full books. Was the Lord of the Shells working alone in the dark
all those years???? What happened to basic technique in scientific writing,
like having an outside authority check your work? I also make a living at
technical writing. I must take computer coding and medical/ scientific
terminology and turn it into English understandable by  insurance
professionals, sales and marketing types. Every word, phrase, and
punctuation is scrutinized! that's the price for the job. Seems to me he
should have been held to the same standard since he wasn't working in the
dark ages!
There have been many excellent books published over the years, but one must
research them like one would the purchase of a rare shell. Many libraries
have shell books on their shelves, and club members will often loan to
friends and acquaintances. See what they have and if the work is good for
you rather than just following the crowd for any book in particular!