Sender:
From:
"William M. Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 15:49:26 -0500
Strombus gigas is not on the endangered list in Florida but is designated a
"protected species." Florida lists only one endangered mollusk - the Stock
Island
Tree Snail (Orthalicus reses reses). Liguus fasciatus is listed a species of
special concern.  The collection of dead S. gigas is allowed under Florida
law.

See:

http://fcn.state.fl.us/gfc/pubs/endanger.html (Florida endangered species
list)
http://www.state.fl.us/fwc/marine/Ch68B-16.htm  (S. gigas rules)
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/guide.htm (JSC Florida Shellers' Guide)

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, Florida 32246
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm