Sender:
From:
David Hurst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:59:22 -0500
The most scary place just occured two weeks ago. It happened in about 10
feet of water off Mactan Island in the Philippines. As I was turning over a
rock with much eel-grass around, a huge sea snake came up and actually
seemed to stare at me face to face. He was black and white striped with a
bright red face. He was in a totally vertical postion while her gazed at
me. Quite a scary position. However, at night the area was full of shells.
I found over 100 species, including 5 species of Bursa. It is unbelievable
to go underwater at night in the Philippines. There are hundreds of the
common species in one place. I swam about 100yards off-shore to a coral
Island and found with my under-water flashlight literallly many hundreds of
shells. In the daytime the same reef seems like a ghost town. Amazing