Sender:
From:
"Sylvia S. Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:11:52 -0600
Hey, I'm not proposing to sell them.  I'm offering to scan a coloring book
page and send that file to someone who can print out enough pages for a
group of first graders.  There are only a few images, and they were intended
for reproduction - sort of like a dress pattern.

What you do with it after you trace it or whatever is up to the individual.
I suppose If I did a beautiful painting over the outlines in the coloring
book, and then tried to sell them, I might be violating some copyright
rules. I surely don't approve of plagiarism, not robbing someone of a
royalty (been plagiarized a few times myself, but for the common good, not
profit per se, so I didn't mind).  However, copyright rules are very
complicated and it doesn't hurt my conscience one bit to print out a few
pages of a coloring book for children can use their creativity.  Teachers
did it on Mimeograph machines when I was in school.

Some of our group seems to get bogged down at times in protecting their
turf.  I'm not going to steal someone's beautiful photograph or thesis on
reproduction or some such and make a lot of money off it!  I am sure there
are those who do or would, but a child's coloring book image?  Come on, now.
I suggest you go on the web, use the search engine of your choice and do a
search for coloring book.  There are thousands and thousands of images out
there for children to print and color for free.  I am only suggesting that
one individual print out a few pages to entertain kids while they give a
program on shells.  The images are very simple outlines. . . 1st grade sort.
No talent was involved in creating them.  They are templates. I would
suggest everyone run out and buy the book were it available.  And if it
were, can you take up a collection of $2 per child for a coloring book?

If anyone wants me to send them a sample image, just tell me so, since I
cannot attach files to listserve messages.

Sylvia S. Edwards
Huntsville, Alabama

PS:  If it will make anyone happier, I can trace it on another piece of
paper (which is legal, and the intention) before I scan it.