Sender:
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 14:51:05 -0500
7bit
From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Ellen M. Budden wrote:

> Hi!
>
> My name is Ellen and I am very new to all of this. I just returned
> yesterday from my first vacation in 10 years to Clearwater Beach,
> Florida. I collected many seashells off of Caladesi Island. I am trying
> to find information on how to clean and preserve these shells. I have
> many different varieties, sand dollars, conchs, clams, etc. I have read
> that bleach is the a good way to clean them. I would really like some
> help before the smell gets to me. I would really appreciate it! Thanks,
> Ellen
If they are alive or with animals...get them into the freezer.
Sand dollars...lay them on a tray with water and rinse, rinse and rinse
until the water comes clear.  Then bleach with weak solution and then
coat with a mixture of white Elmer's glue and water to harden them.
After you have frozen animals for several days...Take them out of the
freezer and put in a bucket of water to thaw...change water frequently.
Pull animal out...with a curved wire.  Put the wire as far back into the
shell as you can and pull.  If you do not get the whole animal, continue
to soak shell and shake it...flushing with the end of a hose for larger
shells.
After you are sure the animal is out and have saved his "trap door"
operculum..then you can bleach the outside of the shell if it is not an
olive or a cowrie.  Pick any growth on the outside off with a dental
tool or exacto knife.
You can also boil the animal...but we prefer freezing...less odor.

--
Jim & Bobbi Cordy
Specializing in Self-Collected