Sender:
From:
"VanDenEnde-1, Oliver" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 15:40:21 -0500
I've notices that in the 12 years that I have been collecting shells along a
stretch of breach along the Florida east coast (between Cape Canaveral and
Sebastian Inlet) that there are almost no olive shells (Oliva spp, esp.
Oliva syana) anymore.  You can rarely find a fresh specimen and what does
wash up is old.  It does not appear to be related to an increased collection
rate (i.e. from more people picking them off the beach), because I have
access to beaches on Cape Canaveral Air Station which is off limits to the
public and has equally low numbers of olives.

I have noticed a similar trend in the numbers of lobed moon shells (
Polinices duplicatus).

Please let me know of any research that has been conducted on the
distribution and abundance patterns of olive and moon shells along the
Florida coast.  I'd like to know if there really are seasonal or man-induced
changes taking place that affect these and other mollusk species.