Sender:
From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 11:29:52 -0500
> Roland Houart has just described two new species of Chicoreus from Puerto
>Rico and Veracruz in the latest Nautilus.

Tom, Can you give us some more info? I guess I need to subscribe to
Nautilus...

> In this paper he figures several examples of C. beaui. One is similar to a
>mystery species I have from Ilha da Itaparica, Brasil, which also resembles
>C. tenuivaricosus. The tenuivaricosus I have seen have 2 large intervarical
>knobs, with an occasional weaker third.

> *****************************************  G Thomas Watters, PhD  &
>Aquatic Ecology Laboratory  Ohio State University  1315 Kinnear Road
>Columbus, OH 43212 USA   f: 614-292-0181

I guess I'm a lumper rather than a splitter, and can't get very excited
about one more intervarical knob...

I have:
one 72 mm "tenuivaricosus" off Guarapari with two distinct knobs on the
early whorls, increasing to three (a weaker third one) on the later whorls.

one 92 mm "tenuivaricosus carioca" trawled off Santos. It has three
distinct knobs on all whorls, except the very last segment which has only
the slightest hint of a third one.

one "tenuivaricosus" very solid form, 70 mm, also trawled off Guarapari
with only two knobs on all whorls

I found 16 specimens ranging from 47 to 68 mm last month all in one area at
low tide on Itaparica Is . Those pretty much all have three knobs, except
for three specimens which show a hint of a fourth knob in some sections.

As I understand it,  carioca is a synonym. And tenuivaricosus and
senegalensis are very close.

John Wolff
2640 Breezewood Dr.
Lancaster, PA 17601, U.S.A.