Sender:
From:
Sarah Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 11:13:38 EST
Something else to add:

The year 2000 (haha it only took me 4) is NOT the millennium.
I'll give you an example: Count to ten (10)

Come on  do it

Did you start with 1 or 0.

 I thought so, you started with 1.

That's how the Romans thought when they created this calendar. The number 0
did not exist. The concept of the number zero did not exist for another 300
years. Therefore, they started their year with the number 1. That would make
the years 1 - 10 a decade. In order to have the next decade have 10 years,
the numbers would have to be 11-20. The next would be 21-30 and so on. If you
add a few zeros you will see that in fact, the year 2000 is the END of the
millennium. So y'all partied early and have to do it again next year.

It is easy to see how people thought the year 2000 would be the beginning of
a new century as well as a new millennium. We understand the concept of the
number 0 and begin many things with 0. When measuring shells, we start the
ruler or calipers with 0 (or one and subtract one when the final measurement
is reached).

BTW, I thought Paris had the best display followed by Washington, DC. London's
 display really didn't photograph as well as I thought it would. I saw Paris
live, but had to watch DC on taped delay because I just "Had" to see the
cheesy little silver coconut fall from the tallest palm tree on the motel's
property.

Another piece of useless info:
When I was a senior in High School we referred to the class of 2000 as the
class of NOTHING.

Happy New Year (and NOT millennium)
Sarah

Sarah R. Watson