Sender:
From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 09:54:02 -0700
Back to the Cypraea bulla discussion.  I have an immature (bulla stage)
Cypraea cervus (Atlantic deer cowrie) that is 137mm. If it had matured it
would have been quite spectacular -- however, I heard once that these very
large ones often do not mature but remain in the bulla form as "adults."
Can anyone confirm or dispute this?  I bought this specimen many years ago
and for quite some time was convinced that the identification was all
wrong -- as it didn't look like any C. cervus I had ever seen.  Since then I
have seen other immature Cypraea and even read a book or two, so now I
realize it is indeed C. cervus.  It was collected by a diver in Key West,
but beyond that I can't say as I threw away the original data slip!!!  Oh
well, we live and, if beat about the head and shoulders enough, maybe even
learn.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA