Sender:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 05:31:10 -0500
From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear James et al.,

I am posting to the list because James' image of these Dove Shells is excellent
to spectacular (but deleted herefrom to avoid electronic burden), and the
species in question is an attractive, interesting, and innominate one.  It has
no name either.  It is closest to Costoanachis semiplicata (Stearns, 1873),
with which it occurs where James collected it, but differs in being heavier,
more brightly-colored, stockier and more angulate in profile.  In my collection
I have one lot from Santa Rosa Co., FL and three from the Texas coast.

It has been illustrated at least three times in the literature:

Scheltema, A. E., 1968.  Redescriptions of Anachis avara (Say) and Anachis
translirata (Ravenel) with notes on some related species (Prosobranchia,
Columbellidae). Breviora 304: 1-19. Dec. 31. [plate 1, fig. 12].

Garcia-Cubas, A., 1982.  Moluscos de un sistema lagunar tropical en el sur del
Golfo de México (Laguna de Términos, Campeche). Inst. Ciencias del Mar y
Limnol.
Univ. Nacional Autónoma de México Pub. Esp. 5: vii + 1-182 + 1 pl. (1981). [p.
57, fig. 60].

Vokes, H. E. and E. H. Vokes, 1984.  Distribution of shallow-water marine
mollusca, Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico. Mesoamerican Ecological Institute,
Monograph 1, Middle American Research Institute, Publication 54 (1983):
i-viii +
1-183, incl. 50 pls. [plate 14, fig. 13].

It was misidentified in the two latter works.

Besides you, at least three other Conch-L'ers have collected it.   I should
like to hear from interested parties - publicly or privately.

Harry

At 05:29 PM 1/12/00 -0800, you wrote:

>Dear Harry,
>Here is the photo of the Anachis.
>They all measure around 12mm. Here are the
>data:
>
>Costoanachis ?
>Taken live in grass-beds in 2 feet
>of water, Santa Rosa Sound, Pensacola,
>Florida.

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm