Sender:
From:
Scott Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 21:51:49 -0800
The Mollusca list is for professional malacologists.  Amateurs like myself
generally just read the occasional postings and don't post very often
(don't even THINK about flying pig drivel).  Subscription instructions are
(were) as follows:

To subscribe to the listserver Mollusca send an email message to
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>. The email
message should not have a "subject." The first line of the message should
read:
subscribe MOLLUSCA [your name here without brackets]
Make sure any automatic signature options are turned off because any
additional text after this line will cause an error. You can also write the
word "end" on a blank line and all text after the "end" will be ignored.
Within an hour you should receive confirmation of your subscription by
email.

The web page can be accessed at
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mologis/mollusca.html, which also contains a
search engine for past postings.

Also worth checking out is http://www.calacademy.org/research/izg/echino
derm/izglinks.htm which lists various invertebrate lists that can be
subscribed to.

I also recommend the Cephalopod listserve.  Info relating to this is as
follows:

Welcome to the The Cephalopod Page mailing list! This listserver is
devoted to promoting discussion of cephalopod (that's octopus,
squid, cuttlefish and nautilus) biology, husbandry and
behavior. This list is open to everyone but IS MODERATED
(thanks Erika!) so please keep your posts on topics related to
cephalopods. Commercial posts that relate to cephalopods will be accepted
as long as they don't become annoying (i.e. too frequent).

Since you are new, you should consider introducing yourself by posting a
message to the group.

o  To post a message to everyone on the ceph-list, mail it to

o  To subscribe to ceph-list, send mail to

    with the single line message

        subscribe ceph-list

    NOTE: Mail sent to "[log in to unmask]" should contain only commands.
    "Signature" text should not be included because it too will be treated
    as commands and cause an "Errors in MAILSERV command processing"
    notification to be returned to you.

o  To remove yourself from ceph-list, send mail to [log in to unmask]
    with the single line message

        unsubscribe ceph-list

    When your e-mail address has been removed from the list you'll receive
    a confirmation message by e-mail.

o  To retrieve a file from the list archive, send mail to
    [log in to unmask] with the single line message

        send ceph-list.yyyymm

    where "yyyymm" is the year and month (e.g., 199410) for which you would
    like the archived messages.

o  A full list of MAILSERV commands can be obtained by sending mail to
    [log in to unmask] with the single line message

        help

o  Inquiries about this list may be e-mailed to

Please keep this message so that you will know how to: unsubscribe should
you change email address, access the archive, post messages, etc.

I'm hoping that this listserver will encourage discussion and friendship
between many of the people that I've talked with over the years. While I
may read and occasionally post myself, I'm hoping to NOT be a major player
here due to time constraints and because I want you guys to talk with
each other :-). I'll still do my best to reply to every message directed
at me. For general info. on cephalopods, please see The Cephalopod Page
FAQ at http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/faq.html and for info. about keeping
octopuses in aquaria, see http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/octokeep.html.

Please also keep the following in mind.

1)  Ceph-list is a flame free zone.  Please try to observe proper
netiquette.

2)  Posts to this list are copyrighted by their original authors.  Please
request permission from the original author of any post before
distributing, reposting or reproducing it in any way.

3)  Neither Dalhousie University, The Cephalopod Page, James Wood, nor
Erika Chen are responsible for information that appears on this list.
Contents of posts are strictly the opinions of the authors.  Information
found on this list is not necessarily endorsed by Dalhousie University,
The Cephalopod Page, James Wood or Erika Chen.

4)  Do not send attached files or electronically mutilated (uuencoded,
binhexed, etc) posts to the list! If you wish to share image,
video, or other attached files, please send them privately only to those
listmembers who are interested and have the necessary hardware/software to
view them.

Finally, I recommend the Abalone listserve Abnet at [log in to unmask]

Hope this helps,

Scott