Sender:
From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 21:26:52 -0800
Oops,

Yes, of course there is no path across the earth. The path is of the
earth across the moon. Silly me, this is what happens when I do e-mail
while not fully awake! All we need to know is whether the moon is
visible from our area and if the weather cooperates. For those of us
in western north america the full eclipse is from 8:04pm to 9:23pm PST
(a nice long time compared to solar eclipses!).

Shell related: how many shell names are there relating to the moon?
We have the big Lunatia lewisii here where I live.

Wishing everyone clear skies tomorrow,
We had thunder storms here during the leonid shower! :-(
Peter Egerton, Vancouver, Canada

>The lunar eclipse will be at its best around midnight (EST) this Thursday.
>The shadow of the earth falls on the Moon here and there is no shadow path
>across the Earth.  Hence anyone who can see the Moon can see the full
>effects of the eclipse.  The redness will be due to differential bending
>(refraction) of the different colors of the Sun's spectrum by the atmosphere
>of the Earth.  The blue end scatters heavily and gives a blue sky while the
>red end of the spectrum scatters much less, passing through the atmosphere
>and continuing on to strike the Moon.

Peter Egerton, Vancouver, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca,
student of zoology and computers for life.
The beginnings of my website:
http://www.intergate.bc.ca/personal/seashell/index.html