Sender:
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:31:30 EST
Received several interesting replys to my question about the Melongena
sprucecreekensis. Several believe that there is no such thing and suggested I
check out the Jacksonville (to bad about the football team) Shell Club Web
site and sure enough there are several articles, photos and all, about this
poor beastie. I also received the following. Visited the web site, read this
input and I'm still at a loss. However I must admit, after looking at these
fossil looking shells, I want to believe there is something different about
them, even if only on the subspecie level. I realize that is not enough at
the scientific level. Here's the other input.

'It's always interesting to see what other people think. However, a trip to
the Spruce Creek area would indeed reveal corona-like specimens (which I
sent you), which are essentially juvenile specimens. As they grow, they
change into the odd-looking shells I sent you. The person who originally
introduced me to this area has dozens of specimens in her collection and
has been visiting this area for years, yet she has never seen a large
"normal-looking" corona there. Anyone who has a good set of eyes can see
that there are no small white sprucecreekensis, so it cannot be based upon
diet, as they all feed on the oysters in that area. Particularly since both
Spruce
Creek and Rose Bay are being dredged and new bridges built by the Army
Corps of Engineers and the state (along with contributions, I'm sure, from
the county). But considering the tiny range of these shells, it seems that
there must be other factors involved in their evolution. They are not
simply corona that look different. However, until someone does the relevant
DNA testing, it's sheer speculation on all our parts. At the very least,
sprucecreekensis is a form or subspecies of corona. But until a strict
scientific study is done (if the habitats survive -- which is
questionable), everything is open to speculation. However, I ask: Has
anyone ever found a corona anywhere else in the country that looks like
this? I have been all over both coasts and I know I never have. I can show
you big, old corona specimens whose shells are almost bleached white, but
they do not display the strong characteristics of the sprucecreekensis
shells."

And the winner is?

Frank in very cold Massachusetts and another storm on the way. Anyone out
there in warm weather willing to take in a visitor for a short time? Say 3
months!