Sender:
From:
Aydin Orstan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:41:51 -0500
Andrew,

How is it going?

Saw your inquiry in the CONCH-L archive. Looks like you didn't get any
Collecting & Preserving Plants & Animals, Harper & Row, 1972. This is what he
says for the use of epsom salts to narcotize freshwater & marine snails:
"Place the specimens in containers of water from the habitat & slowly add
crystals of epsom salts every 10 or 15 minutes, increasing the amounts after
each hour. The crystals should be dropped carefully, so as not to disturb the
expanded specimens. Some specimens are easily relaxed this way & may be
transferred to 35% alcohol or 5 or 10% formalin for killing with no
contraction. On the other hand, it has been the author's experience that many
species require several days of treatment-and, even then, they have
occasionally contracted."

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Aydin