Sender:
From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:22:26 -0000
That's OK, Karlynn.  We all need to know what you and
Lynn might be scheming anyway, ha!  Of course, if you
hadn't posted the second message, we would have gotten
to read Lynn's response (maybe)...

A few years ago they held a big Ham Radio convention in
Houston.  There has been a long tradition of sales and swap-
ping going on at these things, not only in Houston but all
over the world.  Hams, like shell collectors, are a particularly
"international" group.  Anyway, for whatever reason, the tax
people decided to raid the flea market area, and shut down/
ran off about 90% of the participants.  It certainly put a chill
over the convention, and probably didn't help Houston's
chances of drawing another big Ham convention.  There were
a lot of irate people who had paid to rent tables to sell their
items, and I'm not sure how it all shook out.  (I moved to
American Samoa right after that.)

This thing was held at a hotel near the IAH airport, not at
the one where COA will be.  They have a stamp collector's
convention every year at the same hotel where COA will be
this year, complete with bourse, and they have never been
hassled, as far as I know.

Cheers,

Don