Sender:
From:
Tim Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:27:53 -0500
To: "Conch-L (E-mail)" <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks to Aydin for pointing out the correct spelling of Cochlicopa.
However, I want to point out that Cionella appears to be the correct genus
to use. Although the date of Cochlicopa Fe'russac, 1821 is prior to Cionella
Jeffreys, 1829, Fe'russac published only the figures in 1821. The
description came later, so Cochlicopa was not properly described according
to the international rules of zoological nomenclature. Consequently,
Cionella Jeffreys, 1829 is the next available and apparently correct name to
use. Turgeon et al. (1999, American Fisheries List of common names of
mollusks) refer to Kennard's (1942, Proc. Malac. Soc. London 25:111-118)
explanation, which is good, although not very detailed. Igor Muratov and I
worked with Gary Rosenberg on the question to discover that Fe'russac's
figures and description were published at different times.
   There MIGHT be a chapter on raising snails in the second edition of How
to Study and Collect Snails, which is being assembled by Charlie Sturm
([log in to unmask]). Contact Charlie if you are interested in collaborating
on writing the chapter on raising land snails.
   -Tim-

Timothy A. Pearce, Ph.D., Curator of Mollusks
Delaware Museum of Natural History
Box 3937, 4840 Kennett Pike        302-658-9111 x319
Wilmington, DE 19807-0937, USA    [log in to unmask]