Sender:
From:
Tim Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:14:00 -0500
To: Helmut Nisters <[log in to unmask]>, "Conch-L (E-mail)" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Helmut,
   Although workers in the whole of Europe might use the name Cochlicopa,
Cionella is the correct name according to the rules of the International
Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. Of course, someone could write a
petition to the Commission requesting a ruling that would preserve the name
Cochlicopa over Cionella, but I don't think anybody has done that. Also,
even if someone petitioned, we don't know whether the Commission would
decide in favor of Cionella or Cochlicopa.
   I know that Schileyko used Cochlicopa in his monograph, but I have spoken
with him and I think he sees now that Cionella is correct.
   Yes, in North America we also have discussions about what the different
species of Cionella are.
   Best wishes,   -Tim-

Timothy A. Pearce, Ph.D., Curator of Mollusks
Delaware Museum of Natural History
Box 3937, 4840 Kennett Pike        302-658-9111 x319
Wilmington, DE 19807-0937, USA    [log in to unmask]