Sender:
From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 16:54:05 -0600
Barbara,

I agree with Rika in everything said.  I would like to add that the slit
shell should be thin and light weight.  Most fakes are rather heavy as they
are made out of the larger trochids.  Pale orange doesn't sound as much like
P. westralis as it does P. africanus (except the size is way too big -- in
fact, a bit large for either one).  You might try Guido Poppe's web site.
He has plenty of images of the different Pleurotomaria shells.  Go to
http://www.conchology.uunethost.be/ , then select "Cyberconchology," then
"gastropods," and then Pleurotomaria.  If you have any problems, write to me
off list at [log in to unmask] and I can forward any images you may need.
Last, data is important and becomes more so the longer you dabble in shells.
However, there is nothing wrong with a nice looking display shell that has
no data -- if the price is right.  If it is as large as you say and in good
shape, then $25 to $50 would certainly be within reason for what will
basically be a shelf ornament.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA (with 60 MPH winds today!!)