Sender:
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 09:43:47 -0500
7bit
From:
Patrick Draeger wrote:

> Dear any and all trumpeters,
>     Does anyone know how to make a conch trumpet?  Which genera makes the
> best trumpets?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Patrick

Hello Patrick,

I have made conch trumpets from Strombus gigas, and S. pugilis. I read
somewhere that S pugilis was used by fishermen to signal each other. It
takes a little more effort to blow them, but they are really loud and
shrill. I hate to use the word "unbelievable", but I was really amazed
the first time I sounded it. I also have several Cassis cornuta horns,
and I made a nice conch horn from Pleuroplaca gigantea for the COA
convention last year.
It is advised that you learn how to get a sound on the trumpet so that
you can experiment with the sound of the conch as you go. I just apply
the apex of the shell to a rough grit grinding stone. At first, it seems
that you will never reach the opening, but just keep going, it's there
somewhere.. gotta be.
After you have reached the cavity under the apex, go slower until you
have made a flat spot on the spire about 3/4 inch across.
Now you can start testing for sound. Don't be alarmed that the opening
doesn't look like a trumpet mouthpiece.. it's a shell, and the opening
spirals away from you. Never-the-less, it will make a rich sound as soon
as you make enough room in the "cup" for your lips to buzz. The shell
does the rest. You may want to move to a flat belt sander to take less
shell away, constantly testing. Warning! The shell gets hot from
sanding. Keep a cup of water close to cool it before testing, or you
will really have a case of "hot lips".
I live across the street from an elementary school. I get a real kick
our of testing my conch horns. The kids all run to the fence and I , of
course, give then a show. Incidently, like any wind instrument, you may
produce more than one tone from the conch horn by varying the tension of
your lips and the strength with which you blow. I am firmly convinced
that you can hear a S. pugilis horn for at least a mile (over the
water), perhaps farther.
Let me know your progress. Email me privately, if you need more help.
Winston Barney
Fort Worth, Texas