Sender:
From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 12:21:17 +0100
Hi Maurizio,

Yes, you caught some of the same errors in what I thought
I observed that Lynn Scheu pointed out, based on the anatomy
of Oliva (versus Olivella, etc).  What I took to be the stomach
of the O. miniacea was surely the pouch, which it rapidly
stuffed with the living Strombus gibberulus.  I intended to write
a follow-up to the message, but never got around to writing it.

In the following week, the Oliva would chase, and catch, the
Strombus gibberulus.  At one time, the Oliva had caught all
three of the small Strombus.  However, a day later they were
all three back on top of the gravel, hopping around as if nothing
ever happened.  Over a period of a few days, the Oliva did
succeed in catching and eating one of the S. gibberulus, then
another, and finally the last one.  It appeared that the Oliva
must have caught the strombs 4 or 5 times each before it
finally managed to kill them.  How it extracted the animal
from the shell I don't know.  It did seem apparent that whatever
method the Oliva used to kill the strombs was not immediately
effective, maybe because the S. gibberulus are so active and
"kick" when they are captured.  Given enough opportunities,
the Oliva's strategy was effective, though, whether by paralysis
or suffocation, or some other means.

It was interesting to me that the O. miniacea also attempted
to capture the Strombus luhuanus, which was considerably
larger than the olive.  This was certainly not a "touch" reflex,
because the Oliva encountered several Conus canonicus that
were smaller than the S. luhuanus, and made no attempt at
eating them.  It seemed to recognize Strombus as proper
prey, whether by "scent" or some other method of recognition.
Regardless what the previous observations were of poor sense
of smell and difficulty in locating food (in the Florida species),
I repeatedly saw the Oliva miniacea pursuing the Strombus
around the tank until it caught one.  It didn't appear to be wan-
dering, but deliberately following the trail of the mollusc it was
after, and in high-speed pursuit.  Maybe it could "see" the
S. gibberulus it was chasing?

By the way, Lynn Miniacea didn't survive the month.  Although
the cones definitely don't prefer Oliva, if the small Cypraea
and Cymatium are all gone, they will eventually eat Oliva.  The
only thing apparently more distasteful to Conus textile is
Pterygia nucea -- I have had one in the tank now for eight
months, and nothing will touch it, no matter how hungry the
cones are.

I also postulated in the Cone Wars that Conus canonicus sur-
vived by "staying out of the way" of Art and Paul Textile.  Not
so.  They encounter each other often, and the Conus textile
obviously either think they are "brothers," or they don't consider
them competitors, just as they don't bother the non-competing
Conus striatus that are in the tank.  Contrast this with the short
life expectancy of any Conus episcopatus, C. bandanus, or C.
omaria that has been introduced to the aquarium.  Eduardo
Magnificus was never bothered by the C. textile, either, but
I didn't get to see if they would coexist in the long term due to
his fatal encounter with the Conus bandanus.

Cheers,

Don