Sender:
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 10:49:39 -0500
7bit
From:
Patrick Draeger wrote:

> Dear all trumpeters,
>     I must thank Ashish, Carole, Winston, Bob, Helmut, and Mathilde (hope I
> didn't forget anyone) for the information you gave me on the conch trumpets.
> You know, this is one of those things you just cannot find in your regular
> shell books!  I have just one more question before I actually start grinding,
> however.  Winston wrote he's made a horn from S. pugilis; does that mean S.
> alatus can be used also?
>
> Many, many thanks,
> Patrick

Patrick,

You can use ANY conch that is thick enough to withstand the grinding;
Bursa, Vasum, Busycon, Melongena, Murex, you name it. I have a large
Terebra maculata (9") that would probably work and I have contemplated
attacking my Syrinx auranus. Oooh, wouldn't that be nice !
One other note for non-musicians: the smaller the shell, the higher the
pitch will be... same principle as short vs. long piano strings ,or
short vs. longer keys on a marimba.
I sent sound files (.wav) of S.gigas, S pugilis, and Cassis cornuta  to
Avril Bourquin who is going to put them on his Man and Mollusc website.
Maybe some pictures also.

--
Winston Barney , Fort Worth, Texas
catapultam habeo. nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis,