Sender:
From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 14:40:16 -0500
Please let me assure those potential land snail collectors that after a lot
of years studying land snails, I've had to utilize soft anatomy as a last
resort for identification on very few occasions.  Unless a collector
develops a agonizingly slow death-wish and pursues Succineidae (amber
snails), some helicids, or slugs, dissection is not required.

Shell characters may be slightly different than those used for most marine
groups, but not much.  We still deal with overall shape, apertural
characters, differences in protoconchs.  Some groups are more difficult
than others, but that stands true for marine species as well.  Epitoniids
are a curse to most collectors not well-steeped in the characters used by
those few enlightened ones.  I find cones a great source of consternation.
I've begun to think that there are only two species of freshwater clams,
long ones and round ones.......just kidding....maybe.

Land snails are great to collect.  True, unless you are collecting Cerion
and a few others, you can't enjoy the beach.  But you can find them
anywhere, except in the polar regions.  They are generally smaller so they
take up less space at home (and getting them home).  The lack of books on
the subject is frustrating, but not insurmountable.  With a little work you
can identify them all.

Phil's other comments are well-founded.  I could tell stories.....most of
them true....about land snail collecting.  It can be (and if you continue
doing it, it will be) entirely "unpleasant" (I couldn't think of a better
descriptor than Phil's).  But the pay-off can be enormous.

Speaking of pay-off, for those who purchase shells.....you can buy a lot of
terrestrials for the cost of but one Cypraea leucodon.....

Take a walk on the wild side......Kurt

At 12:16 PM 5/10/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Ross,
>
>I think one of the deterrents for the serious amateur collector of
>landsnails lies in the reliance on soft parts for identification.  Much of
>landsnail identification relies on anatomical studies- specifically of
>genitalia- that are beyond the skill set of most amateur shell collectors.
>
>Landsnail literature has always been full of detailed drawings of dissected
>gentalia that, I believe, could easily put off the less technically minded
>collector- what we really want is good pictures of shells.
>
>I also am seconding the comment about land snail collecting being a little
>less pleasant than marine collecting.  Every time that I find myself up to
>my elbows in leaf litter(with its bugs, worms and who knows what else), I am
>amused by imagining having a first time collector along with me.  The task
>is often dirty, unpleasant and brings you in close proximity to all sorts of
>critters that one isn't really anxious to meet.
>
>BUT, in defense of landsnails-
>        * one can find them just about anywhere.  I have been able to collect
>during business trips, family vacations, etc.  If               you know
how to look,
>they are waiting for you.
>
>        *they are extremely diverse. Be it color, size, sculpture, or shape,
>landsnails run the gamut of possibilities.
>
>        *they offer a fascinating insight into the world of adaptation.
Want to