Sender:
From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 10:47:12 +1000
Dear All,

After the excellent responses I got from you to my last question, I am
going to try again.

Last year we bought two fish tanks with accessories. The large one became a
tropical freshwater tank and the smaller one has had a number of successive
populations of locally rescued tadpoles. I have now made a pond in the
garden and want to evict the tadpoles from the tank to the pond, where,
after all, they belong. Anyway, with the plants we bought for the tropical
tank came two types of snails. One, left-handed type of snail which
multiplied profusely, ate the plants, and fish too if they got half a
chance. The other type was a single apple snail, which spent most of it's
days cleaning the glass. After a while, the left-handed snails got so bad,
we decided to do something about them. We took the apple snail out, and
used a copper-based poison we got from the pet shop. It was an amazing
success. After more than two months, and some water changes, we decided to
put the apple snail (which is being tormented by tadpoles) back, but after
bringing the water to the right temperature, and releasing it, it will
happily eat algae for about 15 minutes, after which it goes limp and just
sits there, with its long tentacles drooping down. This is the point at
which I take it out and put it back in the other tank. It takes about half
a day for the snail to come back to life.

My question: Would this be caused by residual poison (after 4 months and
two almost complete water changes?) or is there anything else? Anyone had
similar experiences?

Patty

and P.S. I don't want to advertise a book when I know the publisher is also
on the list, but my cowrie books have come in, too

WWW: http://www.capricornica.com

Capricornica Publications               on-line natural history bookshop
P.O. Box 345
Lindfield NSW 2070
Australia

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098
mobile 0412 865030

E-mail: [log in to unmask]