Sender:
From:
John Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 09:06:31 -0400
Hi Gang,

It is my understanding (from Jose Leal, Harry Lee, and Gary Rosenberg) that
the current preferred mollusk classification is that of "Southern
Synthesis". The problem is that this work covers Australia only - hence the
name, and this leaves out many terrestrial families. It also does not cover
all genera in the covered families.

There are a few typos and misspellings in Vaught, but no "glaring errors"
that I'm aware of. Remember, a lot of this classification continues to
evolve and is a matter of opinion.  I will send the typos that I'm aware of
to Kevin K.

I have a 1.7 Mb .dbf database (which Kevin is converting to Access)
combining most of Vaught (I ran out of steam for the bivalve synonyms) with
changes by SS plus some personal preferences (to the best of my ability -
no doubt it has errors also). But it does permit me to look up genus or
subgenus and determine family (or subfamily for certain large familes).

When I started collecting, I decided to use Vaught - right, or wrong -
because no two books agree on everything, and I had to have a single
reference  I use the database now for classifying my collection. I'll be
happy to share it with anyone.

Now, a mollusc-related question: the claim has been made that Vaught's
>compilation of Molluscan Taxonomy is replete with errors.  Has anyone
>actually made up an "errata and corrections" for portions of this work?
>If so, speak up!!

P.S. Ross, I agree with you about 2 points you made: repetition of the
message being answered, and tomatoes (mine have been in for a week).

John Wolff
2640 Breezewood Dr.
Lancaster, PA 17601