Sender:
From:
Karen Lamberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 21:29:51 -0400
Dear Helmut-
This is a very strange note for me to write, I guess it was always at the
back of my mind, but you know how we all neglect the ideas back there. For
years I have tole everyone, especially the people I trade with, that at some
time in the future I wanted to donate my collection to a museum or school
that would appreciate the gift, not just accept it along with a lot of
others and then break up the collection for who knows what purpose.  I have
tried to collect along several very specific lines.
1. the shells must be the best quality I can get, especially if purchased.
2. the data must be as complete as possible.
3. where possible look for range, or habitat extentions.
Why all the rules? Because I hoped that the receiving institution might use
the collection for study purposes.
I am now in my fifties and expect to collect for a few years more, but when
either the knees won't let me get in and out of the boats to dive anymore,
or the eyes go, it will be time to find a new home for my treasures. I
collect only marine species and have around 3,000 at the moment. Many are
not rare. There is a catalog, but it is in great need of updating, which
will be done over the next year or so.  If you can wait a few years, and
perhaps work with me on "collecting stratagies" to improve the collection,
while I have it, I would offer it to you for the Museum when the time comes.
I would even be willing to sign an agreement to this effect now so that
there would be no question, if something happened to me before I planned to
let it go. Would this be of interest to you? I know there would be many
details to work out, you are not "around the corner" from me, I live in the
USA, but there is also much time to do it in. Let me know your feelings.
Karen