Sender:
From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 00:09:31 -0400
Hi again,

Sorry to clog your mailboxes. First, thanks to all who sent me such great
feedback regarding my article in American Conchologist on last year's Bay
Scallop season. Just wanted you to know that I took the boat out to St.
Marks today (despite being surrounded by thunderstorms) and let me tell
you: There are scallops (Argopecten irradians) all over the place. It
should be an even better year than 1999. However, I have heard that both
St. Joe Bay (usually a prime scallop spot) and St. Andrews Bay, both west
of Tallahassee and St. Marks, had very few scallops present. Possibly this
is because of the lack of rain (and increased water salinity), though
that's a guess on my part (those "in the know" please correct me if I am
off base there). I do know that the Florida panhandle has had the driest
January through June in recorded history (though we did get a few rain
showers this week, but no comparison to the 5 inches that fell on Tampa
today!).

Best regards,
Jim

Jim Miller