Sender:
From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 17:55:23 -0400
The convention was indeed a fine show, even though we did have to leave
early (Sunday, mid-bourse!). Dave Green and Jim Brunner's oral auction
went over the top of all previous auctions, Wanda Coker's silent
auctions were a blast, and the trips, programs, parties and other
functions were beautifully run. The hotel was lovely and the rooms were
spacious and comfortable. Thanks to the Greens and to all the other
workers, including Jean Roe (Charlie, we're looking into the Mint Julep
mix) and her great agenda of programs and speakers, and Lucy Clampit and
her super Bourse! Talk about a Texas-sized room! The Petways, the
Barziza's and our old friends the Cokers and many others made it a
convention to long remember! Watch for a broad coverage of the
convention by our own Don Barclay in the September American
Conchologist.

And the Conch-L gathering was well-attended, with Tom Eichhorst as an
informal emcee. Don Barclay brought his brother, and if you can imagine
a pair of Don Barclays, well, that is what we had...amazing resemblance!
Also, Rosalie Taylor, organizer of the first Conch-L gathering in July
1996, was in attendance. Rosalie has been ill and we were all glad to
see her looking so much better!

Kim Hutsell was there again to measure for world size records, and was
also in the Bourse peddling a brand new book, Gene Coan, Paul Scott and
Frank Bernard's Bivalve Seashells of Western North America. I still have
my nose deep in that one, and will report as soon as I finish checking
it out! What a great and greatly needed book! Huge and comprehensive,
heavily illustrated (b/w...what better for bivalves?)and beautifully put
together.  In these days of three figure book prices, it is a reasonable
$99 too. Published by the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History. A
must-have for any bivalve collector!

One more topic: The 2001 Convention, A Shell Space Odyssey, of course,
is planned for July 7-11 at the Radisson Resort at the Port, Cape
Canaveral, FL. Hosted by the Astronaut Trail Shell Club and capably and
imaginatively co-chaired by Doris Underwood and Bobbie Cordy, this will
be a big one! Bobbie gave a super presentation of the plans to date that
had everyone in the audience salivating! A bonus is that it will be
turtle time...the sea turtles will be egg laying during convention and
those who have watched the late night phenomenon say it is a never to be
forgotten experience. (I've not seen them...always thought that if I
were a turtle laying eggs, I'd not want to be doing it center stage or
have cameras trained on my egg-laying apparatus! But then, who knows
what I'd think if I were a turtle?)

Those of you who had to stay home and sulk while we were in Houston
should start making plans now to be there in 2001! We want you to be
with us there for the biggest COA convention ever! Let's show them who
big Conch-L really is! (Do you all know we have been hovering not far
under 500 members for a while now? When everyone gets home and signed
back on after Houston, we'll maybe top that!) So start saving your
change in a jar! Get ready for your own 2001 Space Odyssey to Cape
Canaveral. (Bobbie, is there a launch scheduled?)

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY