Sender:
From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 2000 11:09:38 -0400
Ross,

You'd have to talk to the financial people about a financial report. The
convention registration packets contain a full Treasurer's Report for
the information and approval of all those attending the annual business
meeting every year. We recently received tax-exempt status as a non
profit educational organization, not an easy category to achieve in the
U.S. so I am sure the available funds are being spent wisely.

About that "other $19,000," you mustn't assume there is another $19,000
every year. Many convention auctions make nowhere near that amount.
Also, keep in mind that we have not seen the full convention report yet,
only the amount the auctions made. Some conventions are more expensive
than others to produce. American Conchologist alone takes much more than
that $19,000 to publish and distribute. We have a large organization
with directors in every part of the U.S. Those funds have to run the
organization too. Equipment, supplies, etc.... Postal costs are high,
though communication costs have been eased a little by the availability
of email, now that everyone is online.

But please realize that I am NOT a financial type...in fact when the
numbers come out, I duck! Words are more my thing. If you want more
information, I suggest that you go directly to COA's new treasurer, Phil
Dietz, to COA's new Financial Director, Steve Coker, or COA's new
President, Betty Lipe.

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY