Sender:
From:
David Monsecour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 17:26:53 +0200
Well, I'd like to throw in my opinion on this subject. I completely agree
with Guido, but would like to add that the Harps are indeed a mess. I even
think it is not impossible that some of what we now consider to be forms or
subspecies of major are in fact completely different species. I have a
collection of about 200 Harpa major and it is full of problems. For the
moment, I am also trying to find out what kind of shell was originally
described as H. conoidalis. Believe it or not, but until now, noone has
been able to trace the type-species of this shell. The only thing I have
got is a reference to Reeve's book, but it is all but sure that Reeve is
really figuring the specimen Lamarck indicated as the holotype of
conoidalis. I will definitely continue this job and let all of you know
about it when I have reached some results. But do not expect this to be for
the first months.
By the way, I will leave Conch-L by the end of the week and come back to
you via a new email-address. As I have graduated from university last
Monday, I will no longer be allowed to use this email-address and move to
[log in to unmask] This new address already exists, but I haven't
registered to Conch-L yet. Should quit mailing and start looking for a
job.....

Best regards,

David.