Sender:
From:
"Michael L. Penziner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:25:28 -0400
Patty Jansen wrote:

> Ha! I bet you Haliotis colectors all jumped up to see I was going to
> announce one, but no.
>
> At the previously mentioned Sydney Shell Show I as a bookseller had many
> questions whether there was a Haliotis book, in the same fashion that there
> are cone and cowrie books. I have never seen anything on Haliotis in print.
>
> The obvious question: why don't you write one? That might be an idea, but I
> am sure there are people who can do this much better than me. Anyone
> interested?
>
> Patty Jansen
> WWW: http://www.capricornica.com
>
> Capricornica Publications               on-line natural history bookshop
> P.O. Box 345
> Lindfield NSW 2070
>
> phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098
>
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]

I own a rather thin book (80 pages in all), with eight color plates and
plenty of B&W illustrations, copyright 1978, called:
"The Abalone Book", by Peter C. Howorth.
Naturegraph Publishers, Inc.
Happy Camp, California 96039

It discusses the history, etc., of the abalone and identifies eight
species and five subspecies of American abalones.

Does this qualify as a book on Haliotis?

MICHAEL PENZINER
White Plains, NY