Sender:
From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:23:10 -0600
Jiongtao,

Nothing could be easier.  I'm answering this "on list" in case anyone else
is interested in submitting a paper to American Conchologist.  So here is a
workable process:

First, edit your paper again.  Trust me, there are still errors that you can
find and clean up as well as sentences and paragraphs that can be tightened
up, clarified, or maybe even eliminated.  Review your work with an eye
toward shortening it and eliminating any excess verbage.  Go through it
again, read it out loud, and have a friend review it.  Most papers can
really benefit from this process.  All of this will help ensure your product
gets accepted and will not have to be "rewritten" by an over-worked editor.

Next, attach your paper to an e-mail.  As a format use Word for Windows or
Word Perfect, I believe both will work (I know Word 97 works as that is what
I use).  Send your e-mail to the editor of American Conchologist -- Lynn
Scheu at [log in to unmask]  And remember, this is an un-paid volunteer
position!  She has a real job and may not be able to respond immediately
(although in fact she is far more responsive than most paid editors).

Finally, let your paper go!!!  Remember, you have submitted it and now the
editor must make it fit in the magazine.  By fit, I mean both length and
content; yes, content.  Lynn is a conscientious editor and rarely makes
changes -- when she does it is for a reason!  So if your paper does get
published, do not get upset if it has changed a bit.  Accept it as it is and
be glad it was good enough to hit the printers.  If your paper does not get
picked up -- do not dispair.  It may be that there was no room in this
issue, or the topic was covered recently by someone else, or your work
doesn't quite fit the tone of a particular issue or magazine, or your paper
just stinks!!  Well, just kidding on the last, but the point remains that
there are many very good resons your paper may not make it.  A paper may be
perfect for a newsletter but really not belong in a magazine like American
Conchologist.

So to wind up this rambling piece (could do with some editing, you say?).
If you have something to share about shells or conchology that that you
think others may be interested in -- by all means submit it.  The process is
easy and I am sure Lynn would much rather have to pick and choose from a
pile of submitted work, than the alternative.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA