Sender:
From:
Fernand De Donder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:35:33 -0400
Hello all,

We often go to the Philippines and yes of course we get shells with
opercula from other species.  We also get species who normally do not have
an operculum with operculum.  Sometimes small dealers in the Philippinen
cut up opercula of larger species and then use them for smaller species.
The strangest thing we have ever experienced was when we bought a lot of
Epitonium secundum : some Epitoniums had their proper operculum, others had
opercula of Murex cut up to fill the aperture and others had ... plastic
opercula nicely cut to fit the opening.  Yes some people have much time on
their hands.

Kind regards, Rika

Fernand De Donder & Rika Goethaels
Melsbroeksestraat 21
1800 Vilvoorde - Peutie
BELGIUM
tel 0032 (0)2 253 99 54
fax 0032 (0)2 252 37 15
e-mail : [log in to unmask]
Specimen shells & books on shells, free lists on request
10 min from Zaventem Brussels airport - visitors welcome