Sender:
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 18:45:21 -0400
7bit
From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
Dear Shell Friends,
Neat things about shells and shell clubs is the variety of folks and
ideas that abound.  Had the opportunity to visit my other shell club,
The Greater St. Louis Shell Club for their annual summer picnic on
Sunday.  Our most venerable member, Dr. Catherine Chambers, a retired
professor and spry and alert at 98 years old called our shell club
president a "scurvy elephant."  She explained this was an old story
about the student who told his mother the teacher called him a "scurvy
elephant."  When the teacher was questioned by the irate parent, the
teacher stated her child was a "disruptive element."  Well, not the most
knee-slapping of a joke but good for a 98 year old.  As we have
mentioned to the list before, Dr. Chambers goes back a long way as her
father worked for Captain James Eads who built gunboats for the Union
during the U.S. Civil War!

Sometimes on the list we express ideas which upon reflection might be
mis-interpreted.  Hoping we can express our concerns, and disagreements
peaceably, our wish is you are never a "scurvy elephant."

Hope to see you ALL at COA 2001, July 7-11, 2001 at Cape Canaveral, FL.

Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, FL