Sender:
From:
Ardeth Hardin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 22:31:35 -0500
> I was happily removing Hermit Crabs from their shells by blowing across
the
> aperture while on the beach and a nearby do-gooder called the cops and
> insisted that I was removing gastropods with my bare hands!!!! It took
quite
> a bit of explaining before they didn't confiscate everything that I have.
>
> Bob Nuelle

Yes Shelling on Sanibel is an experience.  I was carrying a dead horse conch
one day and this lady stopped me and asked if it was dead.  I told  her yes
and she wanted to know how I knew.  I said well its body is dangling and it
smells so I know it is dead.  She told me that I should leave it for the
birds then.

Another time I was photographing a live horse conch and this lady came up
and tried to pick it up to put it in the water.  Then she started poking it
so the animal would go back in the shell.

Another time there were shells everywhere on the beach after a storm> These
two ladies were shelling and my friend walked up and they accused him of
being a "shell cruncher"  He asked what is a "shell cruncher?"  They were
both barefooted and told  him he should be--that he was crunching all those
rare shells.

These people mean well and I must admit it is nice to be able to take the
grandchildren to the beach and see LIVE shells.  Without some control on
shelling on Sanibel that would not be possible.

Ardeth Hardin  [log in to unmask]