Sender:
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 15:05:54 -0400
7bit
From:
To folks who own Australian Marine Shells by Barry Wilson, and who are
knowledgeable in Muricidae:  Please take a look at Volume 2, Pages
234-235.  The shell illustrated in the upper right corner (figure 3A and
3B) is listed as Chicoreus damicornis.  Now skip down to figure 5.  This
is also listed as Chicoreus damicornis.  I think it is quite apparent
they are not the same species.  The shell in figure 3 looks to me like
Chicoreus axicornis.  However, I wasn't aware that C. axicornis occurred
in Australia.  Wilson's description of C. damicornis (page 28) states
(correctly, I believe) that in C. damicornis the major spines are
"branched at their ends and open ventrally".  Neither characteristic is
evident in the figure 3 specimen.  SO . . .

Is the shell in figure 3 Chicoreus axicornis?
Is the shell in figure 5 Chicoreus damicornis?
Does Chicoreus axicornis occur in Australia?

Thanks.
Paul M.