Sender:
From:
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 14:48:54 -0600
Thanks to Paul for pointing out the identification problems in the Wilson
book.  The shell in fig. 3 does indeed look like Chicoreus axicornis and not
at all like Chicoreus damicornis.  Fig 5 is undoubtedly Chicoreus
damicornis.  Even Wilson questions his ID when referring to fig 3.  When he
compares it to the typical Chicoreus damicornis in fig. 5. he states, "Deep
water specimens from the Swain Reefs area may not be the same species."

These are an almost exact match of a specimen of Chicoreus axicornis I have
from the Philippines.  So, if Wilson's locale data was good (and there is no
apparent reason to doubt it) we have an isolated population of Chicoreus
axicornis on the east coast of Queensland, Australia!!  Long way from their
range of Japan to the Philippines!  So what do the murex experts out there
think?

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA