Sender:
From:
"Gijs C. Kronenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 19:57:50 +0200
There has also been research on whelks (Buccinum undatum) which came to the
verge of extinction in parts of the North Sea, becaus of so-called imposex.
Based on sampling in the North Sea, one could reconstruct she routing of
the ships on the surface.

Gijs

----------
> Van: Jan Haspeslagh <[log in to unmask]>
> Aan: [log in to unmask]
> Onderwerp: Re: Tin, mollusks and the big picture
> Datum: maandag 11 september 2000 12:07
>
> Dear Harry and others,
>
> A locally "famous" case of extirpation is the sudden and complete
disappearance
> of Nacella lapillus from the Belgian and part of the Dutch coast.
Although it is
> far from certain that tributyl is the one and only reason for this
> dissappearance, studies have shown it to be a major cause for this sad
event. If
> needed for anyone, I can try to locate some article references on the
subject.

> Best regards, and be carefull when choosing your boat paint ;=)) !
>

> Jan Haspeslagh
>

> "Harry G. Lee" wrote:
>
> > Dear David,
> >
> > Have there been any "extinctions" of molluscan taxa attributed to
tributyl
> > tin?  Perhaps a better word is extirpation (local eradication).
> >
> > Harry
> >
> > At 01:47 AM 9/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
> > >Dear all,
> > >
> > >Last week or so there was some discussion of the effects of a ship
> > >anti-fouling paint on mollusks.
> > >
> > >The unexpected disaster due to tributyl tin was one of two examples of
> > >endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) cited in a new report by the
British
> > >Royal Society, according to the free newsletter "Rachel's Environment
and
> > >Health Biweekly." Over 100 species of mollusks have been adversely
affected
> > >by the paint and in some cases there have been population declines and
even
> > >extinctions.
> > >
> > >"Rachel's" does a good job of digesting and explaining important
scientific
> > >findings and discussions to a lay audience. And it does so from a
point of
> > >view independent of the constraints sometimes placed on corporate and
> > >academic science.
> > >
> > >Rachel's recently had an illuminating review of a new book published
by MIT
> > >Press,  "Making Better Environmental Decisions: An Alternative to Risk
> > >Assessment," by Mary O'Brien. It has a critique of the current
> > >government/corporate dogma called "risk assessment," which always asks
"How
> > >much risk is acceptable?" The book proposes another standard,
"alternatives
> > >assessment," which would essentially ask, "How little damage is
possible?"

> > >If folks would like an electronic copy of the article about the Royal
> > >Society findings and/or the review dealing with risk assessment please
> > >e-mail me privately at [log in to unmask]
> > >

> > >David "I like my micros but I like to look at the big picture, too"
Kirsh