Sender:
From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:48:10 -0400
Carol,
Several species of land snails could serve as intermediate hosts of
nematodes and trematodes parasitic in mammals including humans. Since land
snails are not known to bite or directly parasitize vertebrates, the
transmission to the next host of the parasite larvae the snails are carrying
takes places when the snails are eaten. Thus, the risk of getting a
parasitic infection from collecting land snails is probably minimal provided
that the collector practices proper personal hygiene. There is some
information on parasites carried by freshwater & land snails at this site:

http://research.ucsb.edu/connect/pro/disease.html

Aydin