Sender:
From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 12:23:49 -0400
Henk,
I've copied my buddy's notes on the PI locale.  I've been unable to find
anything in the gazateer.  Good luck.  Wish I could have been of more
assistance....Kurt

"I was stumped by "Baicus" and could find nothing to derive it from unless
it's an orthographic lapsus for "Baieus" or "Baius," meaning "of or from
Baiae."  Had to dig some for "Baiae" as well, as it was a Roman spa in
Campania (near Naples), popular for its curative thermal springs.  Not much
help, eh?  It's a (remote) possibility that the town of Bais on Negros is a
bastardization of the basic root but I don't see much classical Latin
influence in PI place names or Tagalog in general.  Plus, I'd read "Ins.
Baiae, Ins. Negros" as TWO different localities, not necessarily related.
Peter Dance did some stuff on Cuming's itinerary and his relationship with
Hooker at the BMNH.  Have you checked this?  Fascinating stuff, actually,
and I've used it (unsuccessfully) in trying to pin down Cuming's herp type
localities.  Unfortunately, his herps were very poorly labelled (if at all)
compared to the shells and any inference beyond "Philippines" is pure
speculation.  Have you checked thew BM records, where the localities likely
would NOT be latinized?"