Sender:
From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:57:55 EDT
Okay, if we're in "top this" mode, here's my offering; on my recent trip to
Eleuthera with the Cordys, I found the front half of a human skull. I was
snorkeling in Tarpum Bay, on my perpetual quest for xenophora. I had just
found a nice one. It was covered with arc shells, something like turkey
wings. (I've just realized that I want to start learning to ID all these
vague little bivalves that the carriers attach to their shells.)

In any event, after I had carefully manuevered my new treasure into my
collecting jar, I looked down and saw a rounded object. I cound tell it was
bone, even that it was part of a skull, and that it wasn't from any fish. I
dove down to it, assuming it was a piece of a turtle skull. I knew I couldn't
bring any turtle bones back into the states with me, but I wanted to get a
better look. So I picked it up. When I turned it over I saw it was human. The
eye sockets were there, as was the front part of the top jaw and about a half
dozen teeth. It had broken in such a way as to suggest a Halloween mask.
Seaweed had started to grow on the back. It gave me a nasty start.

My mind started to race. (I obviously spent too many of my formative years
watching bad TV.) Had someone been murdered? Heavens! (No, calm down El.
Probably not.) But maybe someone had drowned on a fishing trip!

But noooooooooo. It turns out I was snorkeling in front of the cemetary,
which had been eroded by the last hurricane. Some graves had washed right
into the bay. It is not unusual to run across a human skull in Tarpum bay.
And with the seasoned group of collectors like this group, a human femor
generates much less excitement than a femorale.

As for luck, I came home with 20 Xenophora. So clearly, the doll head charms
are just a poor substitute for the real thing.