Sender:
From:
Frank Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:49:03 EDT
A group of my friends from the Boston Mal Club were down shelling on Cape Cod
when they ran across an aqua farm that had nets full of dead Pectens. They
looked a lot like Pecten irradians, but they had all kinds of purples, reds,
oranges and some yellows, many mixed together. All colors not associated with
this shell. Upon finding the owners to get permission to take some shells,
they were told that these shells were genetically altered to enhance the
flavor of the scallop for the European market and up scale restaurants. The
result was these colors, many of them solid.

I would guess this is a prime example of man altering some of the
characteristics of a shell, in this case, color.

I know when I can get them, they fly out the window.

Frank (It's back to bed) in Massachusetts