Sender:
From:
"Maurizio A. Perini" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 11:46:05 +0200
Sunday   October 22, 2000   10:22 am

Dear Friends,

I'm just come back to home from my yearly trip to Baja
California. As some of you know I'm making a map of
distribution of Oliva spicata on both West and East Baja's
coast.

This year I was not very lucky. The weather was cloudy,
yes cloudy ! We also met the rain in the Vizcaino desert !
The southern part of the peninsula is unusually very green
right now.

I don't know if the weather influences the oliva's behavior yet,
but - where I presumed to find them - they were totally absent !!
I followed also some information I got by local people but again
no success.

I was especially unlucky to Bahia de Los Angels ( Gulf side )
and to Bahia Magdalena on Pacific coast. I'm sure that Oliva
spicata is present in both those places due to I found some
beached specimens.
Does anyone have direct experience with O.spicata over there ?

I'm very interested into the population of spicata which lives
to Bahia Magdalena because I suppose this is the only one
population which is present on the Pacific side of Baja.
Furthermore that bay is (almost surely) the most northern place
of  the O.spicata's distribution range on the Pacific Coast.
In Bahia Magdalena I was looking for O.spicata on the beach
in front of Puerto San Carlos at extreme low tide ( full moon at
2.30 am !!! - Bullas and big moon-shells was very plentiful, but
no olives ) and by snorkeling into the water around San Buto.

Because this my failure I am forced to return there next year.
So that I would be very grateful if anyone has detailed information
about those places.

Many thanks for your attention and kindest regards to all,

Maurizio
from Italy.

       Maurizio A. Perini
       Via Pedrazza, 9