Sender:
From:
Joe and Nora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:43:16 -0700
Joe here.  What an interesting observation re size of the Ordovician
gastropods. Made me look up some specimens. I have some lower paleozoic
specimens that are up to 1.5 inches...but as brachiopods increased in
numbers and dominance into the Silurian through to Permian...my gastropod
specimens shrink on average size...especially those in the Carboniferous
when there were some humongous brachiopods (up to 10 inches wide) around. On
the flip side: I also noticed that modern brachiopods (I'm working from
limited knowledge of these) tend to be on the small side (usually under an
inch?..at least the half dozen in my collection)...whereas today many
species of gastropods can be found in much larger sizes. Maybe only one of
these critters is dominant in a 'niche' at any given time.
P.S.  What's a Pringle? Are we Canadians being deprived of the cutting edge
og American food technology?