Sender:
From:
Joe and Nora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 12:29:49 -0700
Actually it appears complicated if specimens published in separate
papers...if however, as in this case, specimens published Together (as often
happens in biostratgraphic papers) then it is the perogative of the author
to let stand subsequent specimens and the second specimen described (the
Russian specimen) becomes the type specimen. The author can also chose
(elect) a third or fourth, etc. specimen to become the type specimen if this
is 'practical' under the circumstances.
    The rules of taxonomy are NOT in stone as if often thought. Overiding
the static 'written regulations' is the consensus of the body of science
using the taxonomy. It has been common in Paleozoic coral studies that first
published papers, etc are set aside for the purposes of practicality. This
has been especially the case in the taxonomy of a rugose colonial coral such
as 'Lithostrotion and Lithostrotionella that become so convoluted that no
one could figure them out.