Sender:
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 09:30:24 -1000
7bit
From:
"Wesley M. Thorsson" <[log in to unmask]>
If by recent, you mean non fossil:
Hawaii some years ago had a bloom of A. fulica with them being common in
almost everyone's yard.  I would pick up about 5 or 10 every few days an
put them in the trash can.  Others did the same.  Burches had some for
"pets", recording data of all kinds on them.  There was great alarm
about the snails eating crops, and especially eating snails approaching
extinction.  Euglandina were imported to kiss the fulica but wound up
more of a threat to rare land snails than fulica.  In any event, after
several years, the fulica naturally went into decline and since then you
see one every once in a while.

Earlier than that when we lived in Guam, fulica were extremely common.
When I went out at night to put out trash for pickup, walking on the
snails sounded like walking on crisp frozen snow.  They also went into
decline, partly by a determined effort of many people to pick up as many
as they saw.

In Samoa, on several trips there, there were some seen each time.  They
had a bloom of fulica in Samoa and decided to bring in euglandina to
kill them against strong advice from many scientific sources that were
very knowledgable about the problems with euglandina.  I didn't hear
about the outcome fulica vs euglandina.  On my last trip to Samoa fulica
weren't very prominent.  Our Samoa correspondent, Don Barclay can update
this.

It seems that fulica are quite widely spread in the Pacific Islands.  I
have seen them on many islands, but not enough to cause local panic.
Maybe Bruce Livett can comment on Australia.
--
                     Aloha from Wesley M. Thorsson
Editor of Internet Hawaiian Shell News, a monthly Internet Publication