Sender:
From:
Peter Egerton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 16:19:30 -0800
Rick,

I seem to remember Ron Shimek(?) at Bamfield Marine Station saying that the
very deep water clams, such as some of the Cuspidariidae, could be among
the oldest living things. The possible reason that he stated was that, down
at such extremely high pressure and low temperature, the metabolic rates
(ie. chemical reactions) of animals are slowed down to a crawl and living
takes a long, long time. Am I remembering this correctly? Anyone else know?

Peter Egerton

At 01:48 PM 12/28/00 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]
Peter Egerton, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Collector of worldwide Mollusca, lifetime student
of zoology and computers.
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Step into my website:
http://www.intergate.ca/personal/seashell/index.html
(includes "Seashells of British Columbia", links and my resume)
        -Links to add, remove, alter?  Just ask!
        -This is an on-going project.
        -Suggestions always welcome :-)