Sender:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:58:14 -0500
7bit
From:
helmut nisters <[log in to unmask]>
The 6 classes are:

Polyplacophora, the Chitons
Monoplacophora, "urmolluscs", have a patelloid form, very hard to get, I
don't have them in the
collection of the museum and in our private
Gastropoda
Bivalvia
Scaphopoda, the Dentaliidae
Cephalopoda, as Nautilidae, Argonautidae, Spirulidae, etc.

I hope this helps for the moment
with best shelling greetings
Helmut Nisters

Helmut "Helix" Nisters
private:
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.netwing.at/nisters
office:
Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
Feldstrasse 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86 - 37
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
website: www.tiroler-landesmuseum.at

----------
I'm living on Navajo Indian Reservation in Tuba City, Az and want to do a
presentation on mollusks to children in the schools approximately ages 12
through 16.  I have some specimens of bivalves and univalves from New York,
Florida and Md and some that a kind person sent me that may be from
Australia.  I have put them into presentation boxes and I have pictures of
the classifications that I'm planning on glueing to poster board as I, of
course, won't have examples of all the classes. In addition, I'm not an
expert in this field and one of my books mentioned that there were 6
classes but I can only find five mentioned.  Would someone be so kind as to
clarify this for me.  I did this once for my children's classes about 25
years ago but will need to redo my presentation speech.  However, I'm
having a great deal of difficulty finding an appropriate video to go along
with the presentation.  I bought the Eyewitness "Shells" thinking it was
all mollusks and found that it contained shells of bugs, coconuts etc in
addition to mollusks and is inappropriate for these children from a desert
environment who would be too confused by this.  The local libraries in
Flagstaff and Page (both 80 miles away) have nothing to offer and they tell
me that there is no interlibrary loan service in regard to videos.  Does
anyone know of a video that would be appropriate for the age group that I
mentioned and be very appealing to said age group?  I would appreciate any
information anyone can give me.  I feel these kids are missing so much.
Many thanks.  Donna